Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Guacamole

I have come to really appreciate some of my vintage kitchen gadgets. So much so, that I can't imagine doing some kitchen things without the connivence of my antique tools. 

One tool I have come to find absolutely invaluable is a vintage dough hand mixer. I use this for many things but the most important role it has is for when I make guacamole. 

Guacamole is definitely one of my top favorite foods. The key to good guacamole is really all in the Avocados. It is essential to make sure you have quality avocados that are perfectly ripe. When you shop for an avocado you want it to have a generally uniform color and yield, just slightly, to light pressure from a gentle fingertip squeeze. If it is much softer than this than it may be too ripe for a good guac. I am lucky that I live in a neighborhood where there always seems to be perfectly ripe avocados at our local grocery store. Prior to living here though, I would usually have to plan on purchasing my avocados a day or two in advance of when I wanted to make guac. If you can't find perfectly ripe avocados this is what you do: Buy ones that are hard (yields no pressure when squeezed). Bring them home and place them in a brown paper bag away from light in a cool dry place. They should be ripe within 1-2 days! 


Here is my latest recipe for Guac--I like to vary it depending on what I am serving it with. 

4 perfectly ripe avocados
3 (or more) cloves of garlic (put through a garlic press)
1-2 fresh squeezed limes
1 small handful of chopped cilantro
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Mash with the vintage dough mixer, leaving large chunks of avocado un-mashed.

Simple and delicious! 


No comments:

Post a Comment