Wednesday, September 3, 2008

hanging on to summer

Today was chilly out. One of the first chilly days in a long time. Rather than compelling me to want to make something warm and comforting for dinner, I felt myself drawn to light, fresh & summer-y ingredients. I love fall but this summer just went too fast and I am not ready for it to be over.

This is what I made for dinner:

Watermelon Watercress Salad with Ginger Dressing and a Summer Flank Steak on the grill. 

The salad combines watercress (one of my favorite fresh flavors) ginger, lime zest, cilantro, watermelon, cucumber, a little bit of garlic and rice wine vinegar. I added a little bit of jicama too. 

For the flank steak: I marinaded it for two hours in lime juice, olive oil, garlic, grated peeled fresh ginger, honey and red pepper flakes. 

This meal was delicious. 

Fall will come soon enough and there will be time for soups and other comfort foods, for now, I'm hanging on to summer. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment