Monday, June 2, 2008

White Bean Spread


A few weeks ago Zach and I traveled to New York to see his brother Cullen's fashion show. It was my first time in New York, hopefully a first of many future visits. We had an amazing time. 

...much of which was due to the yummy meals we had. Every restaurant we went to had delicious fresh ingredients and their own unique spin on preparation. 

A few of my favorites were the red beet salads with goat cheese (in a few different restaurants actually) and the white bean dip that we had at Supper in the East Village. The salad is served with crusty italian bread for you to spread it on. 

Zach and I, of course, decided to try to recreate it at home and tried to write down as many of the ingredients we could name as possible. Unfortunately I lost the paper where I wrote down our thoughts but I tried to recreate it today anyway and this is what I came up with. (I made this for a larger crowd so you may want to half the recipe.)

3 cans of Great Northern Beans (drained and rinsed)
Handful of fresh shopped parsley (from our herb garden)
3 tbs. EVOO
1 fresh squeezed lemon
2 heads of roasted garlic (see "Roasted Garlic" post)
Kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper

My creation turned out much softer than what we had at Supper (maybe next time I will make my own white beans from scratch rather than using the canned version, and cook them al-dente). This recipe is almost a spread consistency, but it tastes pretty great. I think the secret is the roasted garlic. Serve it over warm crusty bread. 

If you are in New York and want to check out the real deal go to Supper for dinner and let me know what you think of my adaptation.   


No comments:

Post a Comment