Friday, June 20, 2008

My Latest Foray into Domestic Goddess-dom...

Bettie Page

So, I guess I like the whole anonymity thing with the blog but I discovered something today and I HAD to blog about it...

Unsurprisingly I love the whole vintage/retro period, mostly because women were SO glam! Clothes accented curves and hair was gorgeous and feminine. Well, I have plenty of curves but I've never been very good with styling my hair, let alone attempting a vintage-style up-do.

BUT...as it turns out, doing Victory Curls is really not so very complicated. There are tons of instructional videos on youtube where people talk you through it and I decided that I was determined to accomplish this look. After much trying today and arms that are very tired of being in the air....I FINALLY was able to come up with a pretty fair rendition. Hopefully the more I practice the easier it will get. 

Here are a couple of pictures of my first attempt: 


I'm planning on getting Bettie Page bangs soon which will really help with the look. I just figured I would wait until after my brothers wedding in case they look funny on me. 

Here are some links to a few of the videos I found especially helpful on youtube: 

Click here for a video with multiple hairstyles. 

Click here or here for two videos that are less advanced but do a great job of talking you through it. 

You can even do it with short hair

Also, if you really want to go all out with the look this website has fabulous tips on period-style pin-up makeup. 


1 comment:

  1. You are quite a retro "dish"! This is a great look and would be very cool to wear at Christmas time. IMHO.

    ReplyDelete